Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/u37107/www.sebastian-kirsch.org/moebius/blog/wp-includes/functions-formatting.php on line 76
For the German language, there exists a classic book for journalists that teaches a clear and understandable style: Deutsch für Profis by Wolf Schneider, the former head of the Hamburg journalists’ school. It is required reading for a number of magazines, for example c’t magazine.
I was looking for a similar book for English style and found the following works:
- On Writing Well by William Zinsser
- The Elements of Style by William Strunk
- The Chicago Manual of Style, the classic that is referred to in almost any publication concerning style and typographical conventions, but which nevertheless I’ve never actually seen.
- The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage
- The Style Guide of the New Economist
The last three are probably of more interest to newspaper journalists, but I will check out the first two to see whether they are comparable to the German style guide mentioned before.